George Beckwith (Buggy) Walsh (1880-1957)
Born in Cottingham near Hull, G.B. Walsh came to Scarborough to teach Chemistry and Biology at the Boy’s High School in 1919 following teaching posts at Beverley, Middlesborough, Jarrow and Rutherford College, Newcastle. While at Newcastle he became Honorary curator of British Coleoptera at the Hancock Museum and was made an Honorary Life member of the Northumberland and Durham Natural History Society.
He was known as ‘Buggy’ to his pupils because of his life-long interest in Entomology, particularly Coleoptera. In vacations he taught Biology at St. Andrew’s University and for 14 years was examiner in Chemistry and Biology for Durham University School Certificate Examinations. He retired in 1943.
His name is perpetuated in an insect he discovered – ‘Athete walshii’.
His collection of Fleas and Lice is in the British Museum (Natural History), South Kensington. He sold his collection of about 24,000 beetles, 4-5,000 butterflies and moths, some Hymenoptera, glass slides and negatives and extensive entomological library to Scarborough Corporation, because of failing eyesight, in 1953. It is now housed at Wood End Museum.
He joined the Scarborough Field Naturalists’ Society on February 27th 1919 and was made an Honorary Member on April 28th 1953, as an expression of the Society’s deep and grateful thanks for editing the first volume of ‘The Natural History of the Scarborough District’.
Scarborough Field Naturalists’ Society Offices Held
President: 1923-24 & 1931 & 1934
Secretary: 1919-22 & 1944-48
Committee Member: 1926-29, 1936-40 & 1949-53
Micro-biology Recorder: 1920-21
Remaining Insects Recorder: 1920-29, 1937-45 & 1947-52
Insects Recorder: 1930-36, 1946 & 1953-55
Scarborough Philosophical Society Offices Held
Made Life Member: 1955
Collection of fleas and lice – housed in the British Museum (Natural History), South Kensington.
Collection of about 24,000 beetles, 4-5,000 butterflies and moths, some Hymenoptera, glass slides and negatives and extensive entomological library – housed in Wood End Museum, Scarborough.
Joint editor of –
‘The Natural History of the Scarborough District’
Volume 1 – Geology and Botany (1953)
Volume 2 – Zoology (1956)